Barts Rugby


Barts finish strong in narrow defeat
The Year 9 rugby boys missed out on a win by one unconverted try in a closely fought contest against Henry Box at home. The boys entered the game with a few players missing through injury and other commitments but this didn't stop them from putting in a solid performance.

The first half was a very scrappy encounter with both sides not securing the ball in the tackle, looking to offload at every opportunity. Many of the players from both sides were clearly short of breath after a frantic first ten minutes where rugby was being played sideways rather than up and down the field. The first half did see however four tries, the best of which coming from slick hands in the backs leading to a try for full back Ben Thomas in the corner. Matt Floyd scored the second try for the home side which was converted from in front of the posts by Harry Gillam. The first half ended with the scores level at 12-12.

The second half saw both teams play some much better rugby, the visitors moving the ball out wide and running in three unanswered tries which left the Barts boys momentarily deflated. Box had some strong runners out in the centres and made the home side pay after some lacklustre tackling and needless penalties. The game was now standing at 12-29 to the away side. Some outstanding tackling from Tom Clutterbuck seemed to lift the home side and this resulted in the forwards gaining some good field position. The ball was recycled well by the forwards and the ball was fed out through the backs, Gillam finding Clutterbuck running on from deep to finish strongly after stepping two oncoming defenders. Gillam converted, the scores now 19-29, a small glimmer of hope for Barts. Box then received the ball from the kick off after the home side gave away a penalty which then resulted in an intelligent pick and go from the base of a ruck, running at the referee to dive over for a try, the game now seemed out of reach for Barts as time was running out.

The never say die attitude however was there to see from the home side. A knock on from Box deep in their own half saw Thomas take the ball in to a maul, Jovan Lee-Roles then picked the ball and continued the maul to the line where the forwards forced their way over and Lee-Roles touched the ball down. Three minutes remained with Barts trailing 24-34. There was still time for one more try from the home side but this was too little too late unfortunately, the game finishing Bartholomew 29 Henry Box 34. A lot of positives to take away from the game.

Home l About us l News l Events l Gallery l Links l Contact us l Training and Team Information
© Copyright 2008 Barts Rugby. All Rights Reserved.