Barts Rugby


Barts Year 8's Success
Bartholomew School entered the 15-a-side tournament held at Chipping Norton. They were drawn in Group A along with Marlborough and the hosts Chipping Norton, if they were to finish top of the group they would play the winners of Group B in the final. The runners up would compete in a 3rd and 4th place play-off game.

Bartholomew were able to watch the first game in the group stages and had a close eye on both teams, especially the hosts as they were to meet in the second group game. Chippy won their first game 22-0 so it was clear that Barts would have to win if they were to finish top of their group.

Barts started the game on the back foot and Chippy had most of the possession in the first half. The hosts were camped on the Barts line all half but the defence held firm for the majority, only conceding one unconverted try before the half time whistle. Barts came back strong with some strong tackling from Alasdair Anderson and Callum Chapman and it was a complete reversal of the first half with barts camped on the home sides try line. Barts just couldn't find their way over the line and the score ended 5-0, ensuring Chippy top spot and a place in the final.

The 3rd and 4th place play-off was still to play for and Barts knew they would have to beat Marlborough to get there. The game was even at times with a number of mistakes being made by both sides but some strong running from Angus Ibbitson led to Barts first try of the game from Anderson. Barts then doubled their lead in the second half with another from Anderson, the conversion going just wide from Jacob Morris. Barts had made it through to the 3rd and 4th place play-off game where they were to meet Carterton.

The final game was very even throughout with both sides playing some good rugby in the forwards. Tom Gaffney worked tirelessly throughout, applying pressure to the opposition at every opportunity he got. Barts went in the lead with a try converted by debutant Luke Coles. Carterton hit back almost straight away with a converted try of their own leaving the scores at 7-7 with 5 minutes remaining of the game. A strong run by Angus Ibbitson saw Barts gain some good field position but the ball was turned over by Carterton. Chapman was still determined to keep the ball deep in the Carterton half and turned the ball over to gain possession back for Bartholomew. The ball was recycled well by the forwards and some quick ball by Gaffney and Morris saw the ball end up in the hands of Cole who went over in the corner for the winning try.

Barts finished third in the tournament and played some good rugby at times. They will now look to rest over the half term break before hopefully continuing with their success in November.

Home l About us l News l Events l Gallery l Links l Contact us l Training and Team Information
© Copyright 2008 Barts Rugby. All Rights Reserved.